Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Who needs sleep?

I am at that point of pregnancy where sleep has become elusive--I'm just too big to get comfortable, I need to use the bathroom frequently, or I'm just too dang hot. I've long thought that this was the worst aspect of pregnancy, especially since once the baby comes sleep doesn't happen very often either. I've never had a prenatal massage, but I hear that they have special tables with a hole cut out for your tummy. Lately I've been fantasizing about getting one. I'm tired.

The other day, after we had eaten and showered and were dressed, but before we needed to be anywhere, I was especially tired and lay reading on the couch. It was early--maybe 9 am? Emma came up to me and wanted something, and I just replied, "Mommy's tired." She disappeared upstairs, and I figured she went up to the playroom. But she came back a few minutes later, announcing, "Here's stars blankie." She proceeded to lay said blankie on top of me. Then she got Shadow, her stuffed dog, and lay him next to me, like we do to her when we put her to bed. At this point my book was still open, so she felt the need to do more than hint: "Close eyes, Mommy. Shhhh." Who am I to argue with that? I didn't actually sleep, but I got a nice little rest before we headed out for the day.

Who needs sleep? I do. But I'll settle for a sweet little girl instead.

9 comments:

Lulu said...

aww, she is so adorable. i love it when nina does that to me when i'm not feeling good. it melts my heart.

K said...

Pregnancy massages are great. I highly recommend getting one just make sure to get a masseuse who knows what to do with a pregnant woman. Supposedly when you are close enough to go into labor they know certain pressure points to massage that can get labor started. Don't know if I believe it or not, but thought it could be interesting to test sometime.

Emma sounds like such a sweetie!

Becca said...

Isn't it great when kids are in tune for what you need. It doesn't seem to happen very often here, but I love it when it does! Emma is learning early - she'll be such a great big sister!

Maile said...

Holy cow, she is so sweet! And my mother-in-law treated me to a pregnancy massage when I was pregnant with Kaia. I definitely recommend it.

Naomi said...

That is the sweetest thing ever! How cute is Emma?! I've never had a pregnancy massage but it sounds relaxing. If you try it, do tell.

Emily said...

Oh...the payoffs of all that physical sacrifice (huge pregnant belly) and sleep sacrafice: a little girl who is so sweet to you, it indicates how sweet a mother you must be to her.

I love this story. :)

The Silly Witch said...

That's so sweeet. I can tell she loves you a lot, and that you take great care of her.

Mistie said...

What a sweetheart. I am happy she is taking good care of you!

sam & sarah said...

go get a pool tube & put your belly in that & lay down!!!