Monday, April 9, 2007

Lemon-Blueberry Cupcakes

I made these for dessert yesterday and they were FABULOUS. The recipe comes from Cooking Light magazine, so they're good for you, too.



Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cupes plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
10 tablesoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 large egg
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed

Frosting:
1/4 cup (2 oz.) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Fresh blueberries for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place paper muffin cup liners into muffin cups.
2. To prepare cupcakes, sift together 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Combine melted butter and egg in another large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add buttermilk, milk, and 1 teaspoon rind to butter mixture; stir with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just moist. Toss blueberries with remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Fold blueberries into batter. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
3. To prepare frosting, place cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon rind, vanilla, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until just blended. Gradually add powdered sugar (do not overbeat). Stir in juice. Spread frosting evenly over cupcakes; garnish with blueberries. Store, covered in refrigerator. Makes 1 dozen cupcakes.

3 comments:

erin said...

Emma is sooooo cute! I love her dress! You were blessed with an adorable little girl! I wish I could come and visit you guys. It would be so fun to get our daughters together.

Sarah H said...

I didn't realize how much of a chef you are!! Your pictures look so YUMMMMMY!

Jess said...

I'm not really that much of a chef, I just like to eat. :) Recipes need to have pictures to inspire me. I guess I started cooking more in the last year because I'm not working and have more time. It also helps that I have a decent kitchen, too, after my NYC non-kitchen.

PS. The cupcakes ARE yummy. I highly recommend trying them.