Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith


"How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?" This line from "The Sound of Music" kept running through my head after I finished this novel. It's a good question--how DO you capture the essence of a person, a relationship, even the very act of creation? Cassandra Mortmain attempts to describe all of the above and more in her journal of her life in a dilapidated castle in 1930s England. She is a compelling narrator; though there is not a lot of "action" in the novel, I was riveted to the story of her family. I think this book is definitely worthy of a spot in my top 5 favorite books ever. I'm going to pack it up this weekend, let it sit in boxes for a couple of months, and then re-read it.
PS. I must send my apologies to Stubben, who told me to read this years ago. Though it has been sitting on my shelf for at least a couple of those years, I didn't crack it until it was suggested for this month's book club. Please forgive me!

4 comments:

Maile said...

I am LOVING the book and can't wait to discuss it next week at book club!

Jen said...

Well, since you loved it, too, I'll forgive you! :) And you've long since returned the book recommending favor by introducing me to These Is My Words. Good luck with the move--I am going to give you a call when you get settled--it's been too long!

Becca said...

I loved this book too. I couldn't wait to finish it. I'm sure it will stimulate a lot of discussion at book club!

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

Totally agree! It is a great book! Just shy away from the movie, because it's got a little TOO much nudity for my taste!! HA!!