Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Twilight


By Stephenie Meyer. Published by Little, Brown, 2005.

Okay, okay, I know what you're thinking. It's YA--isn't that for teenagers? I haven't been a teenager for over a decade. Not to mention it's a high school love story. And oh yeah--it has vampires.

Once you stop laughing, run to the closest Barnes & Noble and buy it. It's absolutely fabulous. The characters (yes, I know they're vampires) are completely fascinating. The romance is suspenseful and clean (when one member of a couple thirsts for the other's blood, it's generally not a good idea to, well, you know). While the writing is not the best I've ever read, Meyer weaves an intriguing plot that sucks you in and surprises you. I'm not going to go into detail, because I don't want to ruin it for you, but take my word for it, this book is a delicious read.

Now, go on, what are you waiting for? Oh, and be sure to get a babysitter for the kids--you won't want to put this one down.

PS. Meyer is a BYU grad with 3 kids. And did I mention this was a New York Times bestseller and that Fox is optioning the movie rights?

2 comments:

Kiersten said...

I haven't read this one, though I might pick it up on your recommendation. If you liked it, though, I'm betting you'd like Sunshine by Robin McKinley. McKinley is always a joy to read, and I was intrigued by the world and characters she establishes right from the start.

Same kind of deal---vampires, a bit of romance (I'm remembering it as clean), some mystery. You should try it!

Rhonda said...

Hi Jess, Peter and I bought a signed edition for all four girls this past Christmas. They are huge fans. If you go to her website, there is a wealth of interesting information. www.stephaniemeyer.com I think.