Thursday, April 5, 2007

Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

I recently finished reading this book for my book club. I've read it several times, starting in high school, and it is one of my absolute favorites. It is not a happy book by any means, but Tess is a fabulous character. You can't help but admire her spunk and independence, and...well, I don't want to say too much in case you want to read it. It's a great story, but it also makes a good case study of fate vs. free will, traditions, and a transitioning society. I really like Hardy's writing style too--it's quite lyrical and symbolic, if a bit overdone at times. (But maybe that's because my copy is all marked up from when I was going to teach it to my AP kids). Anyway, read it, especially if you're a fan of British lit, but even if you're not. You will love Tess.

1 comment:

The Silly Witch said...

Hey I read this last year at your and Jaime's suggestion. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though I found much of it painful to read. Did you guys ever get together to discuss it, becuase I would love to be taught (by you) about this amazing book.