Monday, March 10, 2008
Peanut Butter--Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (I used good ol' unnatural Jif)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups salted peanuts
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350. Stir together the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. Put brown and granulated sugars, the butter, and peanut butter in the bowl of an electric mixter fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed.
3. Reduce speed to low. Add oat mixture, and mix until just combined. Mix in peanuts and chocolate chips.
4. Using a small (1 1/2 tablespoon) ice-cream scoop (I just used measuring spoons), make balls of dough, and place them 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
5. Bake until cookies are golden and just set, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks, and cool completely.
FYI, This recipe makes A LOT of cookies, so be prepared to share!