Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Tale of Four Shadows

Shadow is my parents' dog. She is a black poodle.

Back in February 2008, Emma and I were visiting my parents in Michigan. While there, my grandparents sent Emma a stuffed polar bear for Valentine's Day.

Perhaps because we were visiting my parents and Shadow at the time, Emma soon began calling the polar bear "Shadow." She loved it and carried it everywhere, and for the first time she had a "lovey" to comfort her. I of course told this story to my grandmother, expressing our appreciation and love for polar-bear-Shadow. My grandmother, however, didn't think that polar-bear-Shadow was good enough. She soon sent a stuffed black poodle.

Emma was over the moon. She loved her new Shadow and slept with it every night. She even treats Shadow like her child, acting out the things we do with her on Shadow. She'll tickle him, tuck him into bed, feed him fruit snacks. Shadow can even do the gymnastics moves that Emma can do. While the new Shadow was clearly the favorite, she did not forget polar-bear-shadow. The polar bear was christened "white Shadow," while the new Shadow became "black Shadow." (The actual Shadow is known as "real Shadow.") Life was good and we loved having our two Shadows at home. Then this past Christmas, Emma opened a gift from Mumma (my grandma), and received these:

Those are beanie baby versions of white Shadow and black Shadow. Or, as they are known at our house, baby white Shadow and baby black Shadow.

We're so lucky to have a Mumma who provides us with all of our Shadow needs--a Mumma who truly cares about the passions of a two-year-old.

12 comments:

Lulu said...

the shadows are so cute. emma must go crazy with them. and i love her hair in the last picture. it's grown so long!

Nancy said...

cute story! emma looks so darling in that last picture!

Tyler Waterfall said...

Loved this post--the world of a 2-year-old! Emma looks like such a little girl in this last picture. I've always thought she had the most darling nose...

Amy

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

OH soooo sweet. I love stuff animals. Much cleaner then real ones!
I like Emma's hair cut!

Naomi said...

Seriously, the photos of Emma are soooooo adorable. I love her hair. It's getting so long.

Jenny said...

That is adorable. I love the picture of her clinging to black Shadow for dear life! And love the new haircut!

Katie (Feuz) Nielsen said...

I can't believe how big she is! Hope you're feeling better and getting some sleep : )

The Silly Witch said...

I love it! It's amazing that two-year olds are capable of such obsession. Quinn's obsessed with cars and cheese.

Emma's hair looks so cute. She is such a darling girl, and I can't wait to see her,

Emily said...

Wow, Emma looks like a different kid in that last picture. She is getting so big. I love the hairdo.

Addy said...

I love the picture of the whole crew together! Emma is so adorable.

Mistie said...

OK - first and foremost... Emma is such a beauty. I can't believe how big she is and she really is so beautiful. I love the picture of her with her pigtails holding the big black shadow. And i love that she is so animated with her stuffed animals. That really is so sweet.

Jen said...

Emma looks so grown up! Is your cell still the NY number or do you have a new one? I need to call you!!