Monday, January 28, 2008

In Memoriam


The world lost one of its best last night.

Gordon B. Hinckley was the president and prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Though I never met him personally, I, like many others, loved this man. His compassion and warmth, faith and humility, humor and intelligence came through his words loud and clear, even if you only heard them through satellite broadcast or the printed page.

I have been thinking about his family all day (I knew two of his grandchildren when I was at BYU). I pray that they may be comforted in their loss. As for President Hinckley, I am sure that he is rejoicing in his reunion with his beloved wife. His life was truly such that he could say: "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith" (2 Timothy 4:7).

I have also been thinking about how to pay tribute to this great man. Perhaps a donation to the Temple or Humanitarian funds. And of course, I will stand a little taller and be a little better.

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

He really did move the church forward in so many great and wonderful ways.

Maile said...

My thoughts exactly.

Tyler Waterfall said...

That was really nice, Jess. Thanks.

The Silly Witch said...

We could also donate to the perpetual education fund. Didn't he create that?